We are seeking a dynamic individual with strong relationship building skills for the role of Innovation Manager at the University of West England’s Enterprise Zone. The Innovation manager will be required to support the Innovation Director with providing business support to businesses based in the centre as a follow up to the Directors coaching sessions. This job is a part time position (3 days per week).
About the role
The primary accountability of the role is to support the Director to support the development of the eco system and partners who will benefit the businesses growth plans. Other key responsibilities include:
- Provide support to customers following their coaching sessions with the Innovation Direction (ID) in terms of sourcing and or providing support to meet their needs.
- Liaison with UWE Research and Business Advisor to ensure integration with UWE academics and the intern programmes.
- Development and coordination of masterclasses and events with stakeholder partners.
- Support the ID in the eco-system development through sourcing appropriate people and meeting them and making recommendations.
- In the ID’s absence, respond where possible, to ad-hoc customer business support queries.
- Support the development of new Future Space programmes and initiatives as and when they arise.
- Provide the ID with project updates and reports when required for executive and internal meetings.
- Provide regular updates to the wider team for inclusion in newsletters about upcoming events and support in Future Space, UWE and the wider geographical locations to Future Space customers.
- Provide any other additional support to the ID and Centre Manager as deemed necessary to ensure the effectiveness of the business support function and needs of the business.
- Work with whole Centre team to ensure that the business support activities and outputs actively contribute to the successful delivery of their targets and KPIs (revenue streams, occupancy, licence fees, cash collection, cost management etc).
What we're looking for
The successful candidate will have a proven track record in engaging with SME’s and in the development of wider eco-systems. Ideally they will have an awareness and understanding of the tech and med-tech sector businesses. Whilst direct experience of providing quality business coaching to businesses is favourable we would consider candidates with the inherent skills and aptitude to develop this capability within the role.
However, crucial to success in this role will be the candidates’ ability to build an effective eco system and to host and facilitate workshops and networking sessions on subject areas of benefit to the customers. The candidate’s ability to identify and screen potential eco system partners is crucial to the success of the role.
- Degree level standard of education
- An understanding of the business support landscape and the needs of SME’s.
- Credibility and ability to engage with the customers of Future Space directly if and when required.
- Ability to interact and manage various stakeholders
- Ability to project manage and co-ordinate tasks for the Innovation Director and the customer base within Future Space.
- Ability to provide content for management reports and write articles for internal and external purposes.
- Strong networking and relationship building skills with a personal network beneficial to the business support needs of the role
- Ability to use own initiative and to be able to identify quickly and effectively how problems can be solved
- Strategic thinker with business acumen and an understanding of the key functions within a business particularly sales & marketing, financial management and operations.
- A passion for innovation and solving problems
- Excellent communication and organisational skills
- Strong team member who can engage well across the whole Future Space team.
- Business coaching on business support programmes
- Marketing campaigns
- Local eco-system knowledge
- Business related professional qualifaction/degree