£50,000 - £55,000 plus excellent flexible benefits
The Centre Director will report to the Commercial Director, who holds a position on the Board of Oxford Innovation. Supported by two Assistant Centre Managers (ACM) and three Customer Experience Assistants (CEA) you will lead three of our Oxford sites – the Oxford Centre For Innovation, One St Aldates and the Wood Centre For Innovation. The Centre Director will be expected to split their time between Headington and Central Oxford to ensure connectivity of networks and opportunities.
The vision for Oxford Centre for Innovation (OCFI) and the Wood Centre for Innovation (WCFI) is to be a central element of the innovation eco-system of Oxfordshire, providing crucial workspace and support for emerging and growing science, technology and knowledge focused SMEs. This is a vital role in the development of workspace for start-ups across the City of Oxford and is owned by The Oxford Trust and managed by Oxford Innovation Ltd. We also manage a small space at One St Aldates.
The role of the Centre Director is to achieve this vision by building a varied and dynamic community of start-ups and SMEs, forging collaborations (formal and informal) across a wide range of stakeholders.
About the role
- Overall management control and accountability for the financial, sales, commercial and operational performance of OCFI, WCFI and One St Aldates centres in Oxford.
- Create an integrated approach to interaction with the local and regional ecosystem, that reflects the existing links and relationships of The Oxford Trust and Oxford Innovation to ensure a partnership approach is fostered to develop those relationships, strategies or activities.
- Provide a supportive environment (including access to technologists, a range of events, business support, managed workspace, hot-desking, co-working and meeting rooms) in which new and growing businesses might be nurtured.
- Operate a strategic programme of graduations as appropriate to ensure that all occupiers meet the centre gateway criteria.
- Effective management, training, and support to all staff across the centres, identifying opportunities for development and growth as appropriate.
- Provision of exceptional customer service whilst ensuring operational efficiencies.
What we're looking for
- Minimum of a degree-level education
- Strategic thinker with strong business acumen and detailed knowledge of the key functions within a business (particularly sales and marketing, financial management and operations)
- Experience of working in a similar environment, supporting SMEs and able to build credibility in commercial aspects of innovation and business support
- Proven networking and relationship-building skills, and with a personal network (ideally extending internationally) that will be beneficial to the Innovation Centres, Oxford Innovation and The Oxford Trust
- Credibility and ability to influence at owner/manager senior director level
- Data and ROI driven, with a strong understanding of contract delivery KPIs and ability to provide and interpret information in management reports
- A passion for innovation and solving problems
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong analytical and writing capabilities
- Experience of working within an Innovation Centre environment with a focus on business engagement (drawing the business community to the centres) would be highly beneficial.
- Understanding of business needs, stages of growth and commercial drivers
- Experience working with knowledge-intensive businesses in the science and technology sectors
- Experience in building a community of people and encouraging interaction and collaboration
- Experience in the operational running of a similar facility