BASE Bordon, Hampshire
£30,000 - £35,000 per annum
Do you have a passion for business and enjoy working with innovative companies from across multiple sectors?
If so, then this is the role you have been looking for.
Oxford Innovation operates a network of centres that provide flexible office, workshop, laboratory space and business support services to companies throughout the UK. Our clients are start-ups, high growth SMEs, investors and public sector organisations that contract with us to deliver innovation centres and programmes to business. We are now seeking a pro-active Centre Manager for our Innovation Centre based at BASE Bordon.
About the role
Major objectives of the role:
• Profile and Reputation: Act as a figurehead for the Innovation Centre locally, regionally and nationally, creating success, selling and marketing the product offering whilst enhancing its reputation for excellence
• Relationship and Account Management: Cultivate the working partnership with Oxford Innovation colleagues, UKAEA and other partners to identify and develop areas of collaboration and joint initiatives
• Operational Excellence: Deliver a world class service to the Innovation Centre community in facilities, support and collaborative connections
• Commercial Excellence: To be accountable for the financial performance of the centres to ensure pre-determined budgets are achieved, and to deliver all aspects of sales, marketing and operational activities for the centres to attract new customers and ensuring the retention of existing occupiers
Main duties and responsibilities:
• Financial Management to include monthly billing and revenue collection, demonstrating a good understanding of Income Statements and Cost Management
• Control expenditure lines in the business within budgetary guidelines. Make recommendations on OPEX (operational expenditure) and cost savings.
• Present annual budgets and business plans with recommendations on price increases, proposed local strategies and CAPEX (capital expenditure) requirements.
• Recommend and implement potential areas where additional revenue can be generated.
Sales and Marketing
• To promote available space in the centre on pre-agreed commercial terms
• To generate revenue from various products available in the centre
• To ensure the centre is fully exposed to the market to maximize revenue opportunities
• Network with influencers, public sector and inward investment bodies, and target potential customers as required
• Liaison with the central Marketing Team to prepare marketing strategies suitable for the centre
• Maintain an awareness and interest in the centre clients’ business performance and problems and signposting to support, working effectively with the Innovation Director
• Set, monitor and develop the standards of centre presentation, including cleanliness, health & safety and security, by implementing the agreed standard operating procedures and monitoring criteria with the centre team
• Develop a culture of quality service and customer care in all areas by encouraging open and honest feedback from the staff and customers through regular surveys and staff coaching
• Team management to include all centre staff and temporary cover
• Manage recruitment and coaching of the Centre Management team to the required standards of performance and service levels, to ensure that the centre achieves the outstanding operational standards set by the Company
What we're looking for
• Experience in the operational running of an asset of the size, character and quality of an Innovation Centre
• Experience of working in a similar environment, supporting SMEs and able to demonstrate credibility in commercial aspects of innovation.
• Awareness of economic development and the role Innovation Centres play in them
• Refined networking skills demonstrated through the ability to maximise revenue opportunities
• Clearly identifiable leadership skills to manage a team within a service environment, ensuring overall performance is maximised
• Evidence of excellent sales and negotiation skills
• An interest in innovation is preferred but not essential
• Credibility and ability to influence at owner/manager/senior director level
• Data and ROI driven, with a strong understanding of contract delivery KPIs and the ability to provide and interpret information in management reports
• Strategic thinker with strong business acumen with a detailed knowledge of the key functions within a business (particularly sales and marketing, financial management and operations)
• Excellent networking skills at a senior level across academic, research and business sector bodies
• A passion for innovation and problem solving
• Ability to communicate effectively at all levels
• Strong analytical and writing capabilities
• Ability to build relationships with multiple stakeholders
• High standards and an enthusiasm for continuous improvement
• Able to deliver accurate, quality reports in a timely manner
• Highly self-motivated and proactive with a desire to contribute to the company more widely
Hours of Work:
A full-time role (core hours of 37.5 hours per week) worked between Monday and Friday, with evening and weekend flexibility to meet the needs of the business as required.
Our employees enjoy:
• Flexible Benefits Package
• Company bonus scheme
• Charity Days
• 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays (with the ability to increase or decrease when you need to)
• Contributory pension
• Private medical and dental insurance
• Bicycle purchase scheme