Centre Manager – Temporary
up to £40,000 per annum DOE
Temporary - 6 months with potential extension
This is a full time, fixed term contract covering a period of maternity leave. The contract will run for a minimum of 6 months, with the possiilty of extension. Working hours are 8:30 – 17:00, Monday to Friday.
The University is committed to developing collaborative spaces where industry and members of the University can collaborate, create, develop and grow. This role is sales and customer service focused, with emphasis on attracting new customers with an appetitie for working with the University of Portsmouth as well as ensuring the retention of the existing customer base through service development, collaboration and support opportunities. As Centre Manager the generation of new sales leads, promoting the availability of space within the Centre and the services and opportunities to connect with the University will be central to your role, as will networking at appropriate business and University events in the local area. You will also develop and lead marketing initiatives in conjunction with the marketing team, and generally drive footfall and sales related activity aimed at maximizing future Centre occupancy. This role also has a large focus on operational management ensuring that the mechanical and electical systems are maintained in good working order ensuring that works are carried out in a way which causes minimal disruption to centre customers as well as ensuring the appropriate information is collated and presented to budgetary decisions can be made quickly and efficiently.
About the role
Major objectives of the role:
- To deliver all aspects of sales, marketing and operational activities for the centre to attract new customers and ensure retention of existing occupiers.
- To be accountable for the financial and operational performance of the centre
- Regular communication with the University of Portsmouth and delivering refined reports
- Provision of exceptional customer service whilst ensuring operational efficiencies
- Work in conjunction with the University of Portsmouth’s Innovation Director to collaborate with the network of the Universities Innovation Centres
- Manging key stakeholder relationships through the cultivation of the working partnership with the University of Portsmouth
- Management of financial procedures and internal procedures to ensure compliance with relevant regulations and policies
- To be familiar with the Management Contract terms between Oxford Innovation and the Building Owner and ensure the financial performance of the Centre conforms to that set out in the Management Contract and maximises Financial return to OI
- Overall management control and accountability for the financial and commercial performance of the centre
- Developing, training and performance managing centre staff
- Raise the profile of the Portsmouth Technopole by attending regular networking events internally and externally
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Report Financial Management Information to include monthly billing and revenue collection, demonstrating a good understanding of P & L reports and managing costs
- Compile financial targets across all revenue lines with close management of expenses against budget
- Control cost lines in the business within budgetary guidelines. Make recommendations on OPEX (operational expenditure) cost savings.
- Assist with preparing and presenting annual budgets
- Recommend and implement potential areas where additional revenue can be generated.
- Present lettings and additional services revenue plans as required
- Team management, to include all Centre staff and temporary cover
- Manage recruitment, performance and coaching of the Centre Management team in the required standards of performance and service levels to ensure that the centre achieves the minimum operational standards set by the Company
Sales and Marketing
- Promote available space in the centre on pre- agreed commercial terms
- To generate revenue from various products available in the centre
- To ensure the centre is fully exposed to the market to maximize revenue opportunities
- Network with influencers, public sector, and inward investment bodies and target potential customers as required
- Liaison with the central Marketing Team to assist in preparing marketing collateral suitable for the centre
- Identify, recommend and implement local marketing initiatives
- Identify additional revenue creating opportunities
- Maintain an awareness of Oxford Innovation’s range of services, projects and expertise and promote appropriately to partners and clients
- Develop a community of growing business within the centres
- Maintain an awareness and interest in the centre occupiers’ business performance and problems and signposting to help where necessary
- Develop and maintain links between the centre and organisations in the local economy, both public and private
- Liaise with the centre’s sponsors where appropriate
- Responsible for Compliance and Statutory requirements for the building.
- Responsible for all FM activity and planning which includes PPM schedules and maintaining Asset lists.
- Ensure and monitor reactive maintenance works, being a point of esculation to ensure they are completed on time and within budget.
- Working with contractors to ensure that service standards are delivered ensuring high levels of customer service are maintained
- Set, monitor and develop the standards of the building’s presentation, including cleanliness, health and safety and security, by implementing the agreed standard operating procedures and monitoring criteria with the centre team.
- Develop a culture of quality service and customer care in all areas by encouraging open and honest feedback from the staff and customers, through regular customer surveys and regular staff coaching
- Promote and build the centre’s reputation for exceptional standards of customer care
- Ensure that an appropriate competent employee is always on duty and able to deal with emergency procedures
- Attend training courses and meetings as and when requested to do so, being responsible for own development
What we're looking for
- Experience in the operational running of an asset of the size, character and quality of an Innovation/Business Centre
- Previous experience in an office environment preferred
- Refined networking skills demonstrated through the ability to maximise revenue opportunities
- Clearly identifiable leadership skills to manage a team within a service environment, ensuring overall performance is maximised
- Evidence of excellent negotiation skills within previous roles
- Attention to detail/completer finisher
- Able to deliver accurate, quality reports in a timely manner
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills
- Good communication skills, tactful and persuasive
- Highly self-motivated and proactive with a desire to contribute to the company more widely
- Client and customer services focussed
- Ability to work under pressure and multi task
- Motivate, lead and delegate tasks to team
- Team player and team leader
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all backgrounds.