Up to £25,000 per annum pro rata
Part Time, Permanent
We have an opportunity for a Lab Technician to join the team based in Bristol. You will join us on a part time, permanent basis and in return, you will receive a competitive salary of £25,000 per annum, pro rata plus fantastic benefits.
Future Space is a leading Innovation Centre for entrepreneurs and growing companies in the science and technology sector in the Southwest. Managed by Oxford Innovation and based within the University Enterprise Zone (UEZ) on the UWE Bristol campus, Future Space offers flexible office space, shared and dedicated laboratories, workshops and co-working facilities designed specifically for high-tech, science-based entrepreneurs and innovators.
Oxford Innovation, which manages Future Space on behalf of UWE, is a leading operator of Business and Innovation Centres. Managing 27 Centres across the UK, we provide business support to nearly 1000 innovative and growing companies.
As our Lab Technician, you will assist the development and management of the Future Space Laboratory and provide support for start-up companies. You will also work as part of the Future Space team to achieve their objectives and ensure that Future Space laboratory operates safely and is compliant with HSC & H&S regulations.
About the role
Main duties and responsibilities of our Lab Technician:
- Accountable for the general upkeep/cleaning, maintenance and ongoing servicing of all equipment and facilities within the laboratory, including the development of maintenance and service schedules and ensuring these are followed efficiently.
- Ensuring the optimal use of all shared equipment and facilities developing a user schedule when applicable
- Responsible for efficient management of laboratory consumables and resources, placing orders to replenish stocks when necessary.
- Monitoring adherence to all the laboratory processes and procedures and reporting non-adherence to the Centre Manager as necessary.
- Demonstrating & providing training in equipment use and the core lab procedures, including developing and improving induction and refresher training for laboratory users.
- Overseeing the customer risk assessments within the labs/workshops, having a clear understanding of what they are working on and if they are following Oxford Innovations/Future Space lab H&S processes.
- Management of the administration associated with all laboratory purchases and supplier contracts; including raising purchases orders.
- Having some knowledge of overseeing spend and working within an agreed budget for the labs. Reporting back to the Centre Manager each month regarding spend.
What we're looking for
- Good qualifications or relevant experience in a life science subject area – Biology, Biochemistry, Life/ Medical Sciences (degree level education in a science preferable).
- Practical Laboratory experience essential with at least 2 years’ demonstrable experience working within a lab).
- Working knowledge of operating a containment 2 laboratory, with some knowledge around category 2 pathogens.
- Excellent understanding of H&S policies and procedures as well as an understanding of the importance of, and how to monitor and manage adherence.
- Understanding Health & Safety within GMO labs and some experience of working within this environment, including GMO waste management and compliance.
- Previous training on how to handle Biological/Chemical Spills, the experience of handling Liquid Nitrogen, understanding of pressure systems regulations.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent organisation and time management skills.
- A good team worker with the ability to organise others and ensure adherence to core processes and procedures.
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral.
- Good customer face to face experience.