RETURN TO WORK WITH CONFIDENCE. SPEAK TO US TO SEE HOW WE CAN SUPPORT YOU. READ OUR COVID-19 POLICY here.
Up to £25,000 per annum pro rata (£15,000 per annum for 22.5 hours per week)
Part Time, Permanent
We are seeking a part-time (9am-1.30pm, Monday to Friday) Laboratory Technician with practical laboratory experience, preferably in a Biology, Biochemistry or Life Science discipline, to ensure the sustained operational efficiency of the Business Incubator laboratory of 5000m2 within the Future Space based at the University of the West of England, Bristol.
Future Space provide facilities for over 70 companies and include some workshop and wet laboratory space. It houses companies working in the following sectors; robotics and autonomous systems, biotechnology, medtech, assisted living, digital healthcare, cleantech, product design and related sectors; so, any experience or interest in any of these areas would be advantageous.
The Laboratory Technician will assist in the day to day running of the shared laboratory environment, ensuring that it operates in a clean and safe manner, that consumables are supplied as required and that equipment is maintained correctly and in good order. You will also be responsible for ensuring a secure environment is maintained for lab users, visitors and staff in compliance with legal requirements ensuring records are maintained and waste is disposed of by the correct routes, so having an excellent understanding of H&S policies and procedures is key.
If you have qualifications in a life science subject area (preferably to Degree level but this is not essential), or relevant experience – then this may be the role for you. We are seeking a team player with organisational and communication skills, is meticulous and able to work under pressure and meet deadlines. There is also an opportunity to work extra hours for our lab customers as and when they require support.
Our closing date for application is 14 June 2020
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds.
About the role
Major objectives of the role:
- Accountable for the general upkeep/cleaning, maintenance and ongoing servicing of all equipment and facilities within the laboratory, including the development of maintenance and service schedules and ensuring these are followed efficiently.
- Ensuring the optimal use of all shared equipment and facilities developing a user schedule when applicable, designed such that they meet with the majority of customer expectations.
- Responsible for efficient management of laboratory consumables and resources, placing orders to replenish stocks when necessary.
- Supervising the proper use of the multiuse shared laboratory facility and, on an ongoing basis, looking for operational improvement opportunities.
- Monitoring adherence to all the laboratory processes and procedures and reporting nonconformance to the Centre Manager as necessary. Making recommendations on process and procedure improvement and updates or methods of optimising adherence.
- Preparing for and attending laboratory/ centre team meetings as defined by the Centre Manager and Centre Director.
- Carrying out yearly risk assessments on the labs/workshops with the support of the Centre Manager and Labs Manager within Oxford Innovation.
- Taking responsibility for on-going personal development to keep up-to-date with developments within the laboratory’s technical and market sector focus area.
Customer Support and Service:
- Demonstrating & providing training in equipment use and the core lab procedures, including supporting the development and improvment induction and refresher training for laboratory users.
- Overseeing the customer risk assessments within the labs/workshops, having a clear undstanding of what they are working on and if they are following Oxford Innovations/Future Space lab H&S processes.
- Providing on-going technical support to laboratory users, and ability to troubleshoot any issues with standard laboratory equipment .
- Preparing for and attending customer review meetings as defined by the Centre Manager and Centre Director.
- Strong contribution to developing a community of entrepreneurs within Future Space.
- Maintain interest in the centre customers’ business performance and challenges, signposting to assistance as appropriate.
Budgetary & Financial:
- Management of the administration associated with all laboratory purchases and supplier contracts; including raising purchases orders.
- Maintaining a professional relationship with core laboratory suppliers and contractors.
- Processing orders for Labaortory customer’s, whilst aiming to get this completed in a fast turnaround time.
- Adding ad-hoc customer charges each month to the invoicing system, ready for Centre Manager to carry out billing on time.
- Contribute to identifying revenue/profit- creating or improvement opportunities for the facility.
- Having some knowledge of overseeing spend and working within an agreed budget for the labs. Reporting back to the Centre Manager each month regarding spend.
Other Role Objectives:
To provide support to both the Centre Manager and Centre Director, as appropriate, in all aspects of sales, marketing and operational activities to attract new customers to the laboratory and ensure retention of existing customers.
What we're looking for
- Good qualifications or relevant experience in a life science subject area – Biology, Biochemistry, Life/ Medical Sciences (Degree level education in a science preferable)
- Practical Laboratory experience essential (can demonstrate at least 2 years experience working within a lab). Experience of working within a Containment 2 laboratory, with knowledge around Hazard Group 2 pathogens would be desirable but not essential.
- Assisting with the preparation of H&S policies and knowledge of the associated regulations (particularly COSSH and biological safety).
- Understanding on H&S within GMO labs and some experience of working within this environment.
- First Aid at work certificate, COSHH qualifications or training, Previous training on how to handle Biological/Chemical Spills, Experience of handling Liquid Nitrogen , understanding of Pressure Systems Regulations, Experience as a Biosafety Officer/ Biosafety Training. (desirable).
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- A good team worker with the ability to organise others and ensure adherence to core processes and procedures
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral.